Saturday, December 26, 2015

Play it Again, Toads!

Bada Shanren (Zhu Da) Qing Dynasty 1702
Hanging Scroll; ink on paper
"Two Eagles"
Welcome to the 24th Play it Again, Toads! where archived challenges of this Imaginary Garden come to life again.  Have fun exploring the sidebar (2011-2015) and selecting your own or choose one from three I've highlighted below.

This is a time of year for contemplation and hopefully anticipation.  I want to thank each of you for your wonderful poetry this past year and hope you will continue to play along with "Play it Again, Toads!" challenges in 2016!

As usual, you are not required to use a photo for this poetry prompt - but you may use one of these for inspiration if you like.  These images are from my latest visit to New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Please submit an original poem and link your specific post to Mr. Linky below and be sure to make it clear which challenge you are resurrecting by including a link. 

As always, please be neighborly and visit the other wonderful poets who participate.

1)  A word with Laurie: Review

2)  Fireblossom:  Calling All Angels

3)  Jukebox - a You Tube musical video challenge  Our Herotomost was given a personal challenge from Isadora Gruye, but I thought it might be fun to open this idea up to everyone.  

"Two Women Sitting in Shade
of Sycamore Tree"
Dynasty 19 reign of Seti
1294-1279 BC
The little sycamore that she herself planted
Opens its mouth to speak
The words coming forth from its mouth
Overflow with honey.
It is perfect its branches beautiful,
Blooming and strong,
Laden with ripe and unripe figs
That are redder than jasper.
Its leaves like turquoise,
With the gleam of glass.
It attracts those who have yet to come:
"Come spread a day of beauty,
Morning after morning, up to three days, While
seated in (my) shade...
I am discreet and do not say what I see.
I will not breathe a word."

This is a poem presented with the above image at the museum.  I don't know who wrote it and I don't know if it is a translation of something old.  Perhaps you can use the poem for inspiration in some way...  
Altar bowl with winged animal among waves
China, Ming dynasty, Chenghua period  1465-87
Porcelain painted with cobalt blue under and
red enamel over transparent glaze
(Jingdezhen ware)
Dancing Celestial
India (Uttar Pradesh) early 12th century
Sandstone
Vase - China, Qing dynasty 1644-1911
early nineteenth century
Porcelain painted with colored enamels
over a transparent glaze (Jingdezhen ware)

7 comments:

Kerry O'Connor said...

Many thanks for sharing your pics of these amazing artworks, Margaret, with a great selection of past challenges.

Gillena Cox said...

SEASONS GREETINGS

much love...

Angie said...

I resurrected an old words count with Mama Zen and liked it.

Jim said...

Thank you, Margaret, for the nice recap of your visit. It's been a long time since we've been to MoMA. As I recall, they wouldn't let me take pictures. My 'bag of beans' picture will be late, I'm posting this with my iPad and can't make it get the picture right. My main concentration is the Foster Farms Bowl Game.
My school, U of Nebraska, is playing, and winning. I played too much and a lot of chess games a big part, I left after three semesters so I wouldn't be on probation. Eleven years I returned to the U of Houston. Another eleven years and three degrees and I called quits.
..

Anonymous said...

Very nice post! I chose "Calling All Angels" from 2013 by Fireblossom. Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas.

Isadora Gruye said...

oh how fun! Loved the photos, but chose my Minneapolis Jukebox prompt which uses music as an inspiration point. This feature is one of my favorites. Thanks for posting it!!!!

Margaret said...

Thank you all for playing - it took me a while to visit and comment as it was a very long and busy Holiday for me. See you next month at Play it Again, Toads!