Thursday, December 31, 2015

Fireblossom Friday: The Art of Gerda Wegener

Hi Toads and pond followers! Fireblossom here with another Fireblossom Friday. Today we'll be doing ekfra...eckphra...um...ekphrasis! For this, we'll seek to be inspired by the art of Gerda Wegener!

Some of you may have seen or at least heard of the current movie "The Danish Girl." No, it isn't about breakfast pastries. It's about artist couple Einar and Gerda Wegener. Einar's story is remarkable, as Einar became Lily Elbe and gave up art, feeling it was something of Einar's. However, we'll be concerning ourselves with Gerda's work, which is flamboyant, colorful, and erotic. Interesting fact: Lily became her favorite model!

Her work was quite popular in the early 20th century. She was a sought-after illustrator, with her work appearing in such magazines as Vogue. 


By the 1930s, however, her jazz age art had fallen out of style, and by the time of her death in 1940, Gerda had fallen into obscurity. 


Luckily for us, though, she was rediscovered by accident! To my irritation, I can't find the source I found when I was researching this a few days ago, so please bear with me, but someone found one of her old canvases in storage somewhere, or at an estate sale, or something of that nature. Again, apologies for not saving the source, so I could be more specific about this. The result isn't in doubt--her paintings have enjoyed a resurgence. 


For this challenge, choose any art created by Gerda Wegener, whether one of these that I've included, or another from some other source. Be advised, if you're prone to blush, that much of her art is plainly erotic in nature. I've kept my examples here to the ones rated "G". Write a new poem inspired by her work, and link up. That's it! Have fun, and Happy New Year. (Did you think I'd post some tiresome prompt about new beginnings? Pffft!)


 

12 comments:

hedgewitch said...

I did read a little about 'The Danish Girl' and this couple recently. It's an amazing story. The illustrations you give us are very period and interesting, Shay--I will see if my tired muse has anything left in her as 2015 skips out the back door.

Outlawyer said...

Hey Shay--there are a lot of interesting articles online about the couple and Gerda--it is really fascinating (though sad too) and great pics. Thanks for the introduction. k.

Kerry O'Connor said...

These paintings just explode off the screen with such exuberance and pizzazz. What a way to end the year and begin another in The Imaginary Garden where inspiration is never in short supply.

Jim said...

Love her works that Google brings up. Thank you, Shay.
Too bad her spouse, Lili, died in 1930, just when Gerda had started getting big into the erotica.
Google brings up a lot of the art and some nice period photos of Gerda. One, where she was wearing a puffed round hat that covered about half of her ears reminded me of a picture of Mom wearing a hat just like hers. Dad called her a "flapper".
As a mid-teen I rumaged into her papers some. Mom had also dabbled into some erotic pencil drawing. I remember being shocked, but pleased with her. She to me became more human. That discovery is a part of my memory still.
IF I write I may use the photo I mentioned.
..

humbird said...

Interesting story, intriguing painting, ruthless fate...
thank you for the prompt and inspiration! Best wishes in New Year to all toads at garden!

Maude Lynn said...

Her work is so vibrant and alive!

Susie Clevenger said...

Thanks Fireblossom for bringing Gerda Wegener's art to us.

Hannah said...

Thank you!

Susan said...

I LOVED the movie. Thanks for bringing Lily to us.

Fireblossom said...

Wow, you guys are coming up with some really wonderful responses!

Outlawyer said...

Hey Shay--I did a rather lighter one--no obligation to visit it, but it was fun for me to write it. I had a particular pic in mind that you may have seen but decided it was a little suggestive to post--ha. k.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Hi kids......have been quite busy with Christmas, and then a New Year's Eve wedding for my older daughter....it was a fantastically warm and loving way to bring in the new year, which I know is going to be a watershed year. Am way behind online, hoping to catch up in the coming week.