Friday, November 7, 2014

Transforming Friday with Nature's Wonders

Hello Toads and Pond Dwellers - it's Hannah with a magical natural location to inspire you. Let's explore the wide web searching for aspects of Antelope Canyon, USA, to write poems about.

There's the Upper Antelope Canyon or The Crack; and Lower Antelope Canyon or The Corkscrew.

The Navajo name for Upper Antelope Canyon is Tsé bighánílíní, which means "the place where water runs through rocks" and the Lower Antelope Canyon is Hazdistazí or "spiral rock arches." Both are located within the LeChee Chapter of the Navajo Nation.


(A beam of light in Upper Antelope Canyon
in Arizona. Lucas Löffler wiki cc)

Here's a little background on how these canyons were born.

Antelope Canyon was formed by erosion of Navajo Sandstone, primarily due to flash flooding and secondarily due to other sub-aerial processes. Rainwater, especially during monsoon season, runs into the extensive basin above the slot canyon sections, picking up speed and sand as it rushes into the narrow passageways. Over time the passageways eroded away, making the corridors deeper and smoothing hard edges in such a way as to form characteristic 'flowing' shapes in the rock.

Many of the clips were a bit too tourist-y flavored, for my liking but this one made me happy. I hope you enjoy it, too.




There're lots of ways you could include these canyons in your work...it could be the setting, color, sound quality or even explore the canyon in metaphor - the choice is yours. :)

Please offer new poems written for this challenge and be sure to make the rounds. I look forward to reading you. Happy weekend everyone! :)

9 comments:

brudberg said...

Many years ago I lived a while in Arizona, and though I never visited the Antelope Canyon the marvel of the desert nature makes my heart beat... I will have to think about this one Hannah..

Kerry O'Connor said...

That clip really made me happy too, Hannah!

Phil Slade said...

A haunting tune, very atmospheric indeed. I can only dream of visiting far-off Arizona.

Maude Lynn said...

What a breathtaking place, Hannah!

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Goody! Transforming Friday! Great choice, Hannah. The markings on these rock formations are spectacular. A friend of mine photographed them extensively.........an amazing place.

Hannah said...

Thank you all for commenting here and writing for this challenge...I'm enjoying all of your words so much!! :)

Anonymous said...

Hannah, Thanks for this prompt. It is a magical place and I want to visit someday. My sister lives in Az so maybe it will be a possibility!

Hannah said...

Oh, cool...I hope you definitely do, Debi! :) Magical indeed...thank you for writing!

Ella said...

Thank you, Hannah! This place is stunning! I am in awe~