Saturday, October 18, 2014

Sunday Mini-Challenge: In Other Words

Greetings to all Toads and friends, who are joining me today for the weekend challenge. Ordinarily, I would be presenting you with a form challenge in the third week of the month, but I have decided it is time for a change. Our mini-challenge for the next few months will be based on titles of well-known (or obscure) novels. The two books I have chosen for the first prompt of this kind are:

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, a mystery novel by British writer Mark Haddon.


Published 2003


AND

A Grain of Wheat, a novel by Kenyan novelist Ngũgĩ wa Thiong'o

Published 1967

Our Challenge:

Select either of the titles and substitute your own words in the place of those indicated below, and write a new poem under the title you have created.

1. The ____ Incident of the ____ in the ____-Time

2. A ____ of Wheat

3. A Grain of ____

Link your poem up, and visit the other participants' blogs to see what innovative words and ideas they have chosen. Have fun!


11 comments:

Vandana Sharma said...

Oh!! wow sound great and a very unique one too.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Ha, I'm first? I had fun with this prompt, Kerry. Just what I needed this morning!

brudberg said...

Great one.. I combined it with the pictures from yesterday..

Hannah said...

Thank you, Kerry. :)

Grace said...

Thank you Kerry ~ Wishing you all Happy Sunday ~

Jeyanthi said...

Thanks for prompt... i did mine, saved my seat... :)

Unknown said...

Finally I tried something new and hope to see some great views from all of you.. Thank you for such wonderful prompt. :)

Anonymous said...

As the mother of a child with Asperger's, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time is one of my all-time favorite books! The voice is so very authentic. I love to see that you have featured it here this weekend :-)

Susan said...

This took time,Kerry. As I haven't read either book, I had to force myself not to read/research but to feel instead. I like the result. Thank you. I'll be back to read.

Anonymous said...

Dear Kerry--such a very cool prompt. I have only read the Conan Doyle story--though I know the book is so popular and the Kenyan book looks so beautiful too. I really enjoyed the prompt--I'm afraid mine is a bit long--more of a prose piece maybe--

A super great idea for a prompt Kerry--I thought of a few different things, and then just decided on this, maybe because it felt the strangest. (Ha!) k.

Jim said...

Nice thoughts, Kerry. I chose the last one for my poem. Actually just used the title, will check book contents soon. I did like the sounds of your first selection better but the title of the second was tempting me.
..