Definition

One must make a distinction however: when dragged into prominence by half poets, the result is not poetry, nor till the autocrats among us can be “literalists of the imagination”—above insolence and triviality and can present for inspection, imaginary gardens with real toads in them, shall we have it.

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Poems In April ~ Taking It To The Streets


OK Toads we are going to take our poetry to the streets. When I was in San Juan Puerto Rico last year I saw this young lady writing poetry. For a small fee she would write a poem for you on a typewriter she held on her lap. Sadly I didn't get a chance to have her write one for me, but the image of her sitting on that cobblestone street has remained with me. I wondered what I could write on the spur of the moment for a total stranger.


So the challenge is to write a street poem. What would you like to leave on the concrete, the wall, a light post, a picnic table, in a cafe, a grocery store, etc. for someone to find? It could be a bit of wisdom, hope, encouragement, or something to bring a smile. 

Please write an original poem specific to this challenge and post it on the Mr. Linky provided below.










20 comments:

Margaret said...

Mine might be a tad too long for street poetry, but I did give a message, I think.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Susie, I love your pavement poem so much - I like this prompt, will see if I can jog something loose in the morning.........

Kerry O'Connor said...

I wonder if I could run away and become a street poet?

Kerry O'Connor said...

PS.. Love your pavement poem, Susie. You inspired me to try a more pictorial format too.

Grace said...

I love poems inspired by city & streets ~ Thanks for the lovely prompt Susie ~

Happy Wednesday to all ~

Ella said...

I too love your street poem! I am going to an Art Walk on Friday-maybe I will leave one-Thank you Susie

Marian said...

Susie, I just wrote a lovely longer (for me) poem this morning for your prompt, and somehow completely lost the entire thing in GoogleDocs. Not sure how it happened, but I don't think I can re-write. Not a great way to start the day. Sorry, boo.

Marian said...

oh good lord, somehow i restored it! whew. don't mind me, i'm just a Woman On The Verge Of A Nervous Breakdown over here.
good morning everyone!!

Ella said...

Thank you Susie! Hope the sun is shining on all Toads~

Kenia Cris said...

Hey Susie, great prompt!

You reminded me of a favorite movie of mine, The Fabulous Destiny of Amélie Poulain - she paints a writer's quote on the wall because she wanted to spread his word.

Happy writing.

Kiss!

jo-hanna said...

Susie, a short one wasn't quite enough to sustain my flowing muse today, so I did two. Yours is after the sonnet [ignore it] that I did for Susan.
BOGOF [=Buy One Get One Free]

Susie Clevenger said...

Margaret, your poem works beautifully as a street poem.

Sherry, thank you. I am looking forward to what your muse speaks.

Kerry, I think people would be lined up to read your street poems. Thank you and so happy I inspired you to do a visual piece.

Grace, you are welcome. :)

Ella, thank you. What a wonderful opportunity to share a street poem.

Marian, I am so thankful you didn't lose the poem!! And sanity is always tested. :)

Kenia, Thank you!

Jo-hanna, I love BOGOF...I can't wait to read them!

Mama Zen said...

Mine is goofy, but I had a blast with it!

Sumana Roy said...

great prompt Susie but i doubt if mine has justified the prompt..

Hannah said...

I love your story about this woman, Susie...that alone is super inspiring.

Thank you, for such a thought provoking challenge! :)

grapeling said...

love street art. cool prompt, Susie

Susie Clevenger said...

Mama Zen, I want a t-shirt with your words and that image!

Sumana, It fits perfectly. Street art is all about the magic of color and imagination.

Hannah, you are welcome. I can't think of San Juan without picturing her and her poetry.

Grapeling, you are welcome!

manicddaily said...

Mine is a super weird street poem. sorry! Susie, yours is lovely. K.

Susie Clevenger said...

Manicddaily, I loved yours!!

Kim Nelson said...

Took a direction I hadn't anticipated.