Thursday, April 11, 2013

Artistic Interpretations with Margaret

Magazine pieces, pastel
"Of all the arts, abstract painting is the most difficult.  It demands that you know how to draw well, that you have a heightened sensitivity for composition and for colors, and that you be a true poet.  This last is essential."  - Wassily Kandinsky.

White Prisma colored pencil, black paper

Abstract indicates a departure from reality; it can be slight, partial, or complete.

In its purest form it does not have a recognizable subject.  It can also be said it represents something that is not visual, such as emotion, sound, or spiritual experience.  

Acrylic, charcoal, ebony
Part of the above and the following is an excerpt from About.com Painting:

In Western art history, the break from the notion that a painting had to represent something happened in the early 20th century. ImpressionismFauvismCubismand other art movements of the time all contributed by breaking the "rules" of art followed since The Renaissance. Impressionism saw painters not "finishing" their paintings. The Fauvists used colour in a non-realistic way. Cubism introduced the idea of painting an object from more than one view point. From all of these the idea developed that colour, line, form, and texture could be the "subject" of the painting.

Acrylic
I'm going to ask you to try and create a poem that is based on feelings rather than what image you may see - try not to see a person or animal, or a scene.  Try to write about how the art makes you feel.  

If the creative juices are not flowing with "feelings", by all means go with what you see.  My "failure" with abstract art is my mind wants to see a person, animal, a scene.  I have one such poem percolating right now... so if I can break the rules, so can you. 

Magazine clippings, photography
Feel free to use more than one image, create more than one poem.  Chelsea has requested that the images NOT be altered in any way.   I also ask for linked poems to be new and specifically created for the artwork presented with this challenge.  Please mention the artwork is by Chelsea Bednar.   Link up, and remember, visit the efforts of our fellow poets!  

Black & White Paper
Now off you go.  Bring me your Artistic Interpretations.

Roofing Tar, Turpenoid


27 comments:

ekta khetan said...

Interesting and enigmatic!

Dont kill me but i guess the art form interprets how is someone trying to find self amid all the pieces that have gone haywire...and that to me my dear, feels very realistic and honest! Kudos!

Rita Odeh said...

I was really inspired and this prompt gave me insight how to write memorable haiku.
Thanks for the creative prompts.

Jinksy said...

Methinks it gave me verbal diarrhoea, my poem is so long! Great artwork, btw.

Cad said...

Earth tones coloured my mood...

Doctor FTSE said...

Hark! I hear music.

Marian said...

Margaret, I usually find visual prompts to be very challenging, bordering on impossible. but Chelsea's paintings are so evocative! wow. please applaud and thank her for me.

Ella said...

Feelings-huh?! Wow, will look again~
Chelsea's art is gorgeous...I think I have an idea!
Thank Chelsea for us, too~

Thanks Margaret ;D

hedgewitch said...

These are very interesting take-off points, Margaret, though Abstract art rarely says much to me, I'm afraid. But feelings are an excellent focus, and I'll see what I can do. This will be a great contrast to the challenge I'm doing Sunday!

Susan said...

I love that you and your daughter collaborate. I am inspired to ask my mom if we could do a show together--she and I reading at one of her gallery openings. She's 88 years old, but there may still be a few. Do you have a link back to your daughter's website that you want us to use?

Margaret said...

It is up to you. Her blog is: http://chelseabednar.blogspot.com Thanks, Susan

Kerry O'Connor said...

Thank you, both Margaret and Chelsea for offering this amazing art for our poetic interpretation.

Jenn Jilks said...

I'm finding out freezing rain has inspired me today!

Kerry O'Connor said...

Jenn, unfortunately your poem does not respond to this prompt which requires that Chelsea's artwork be included as the main source of inspiration. Your link has been removed.

LLM Calling said...

never going to argue with kandinsky :) off to see what might emerge

LLM Calling said...

the image I chose wrote the poem but it might well be that my state of mind had a large part to play, you never can tell with feelings and inspiration and art

Maude Lynn said...

This was tough! My "failure" is wanting to see something in the image as well.

Jenn Jilks said...

I missed the memo that my poem must be inspired by one of these paintings. None did. Thank you for deleting my link. I sit corrected and duly slapped.

Jenn Jilks said...

Well, Margaret, the first dark photo was pretty depressing and put me into a sad place. I'm too old to have to play by the rules. All of you, as poets, inspired me to write. I guess I don't fit into your little group!

Hannah said...

Wonderful artwork!!! The first stopped me in my tracks...I LOVED poetically interpreting this one. Thank you, Margaret and Chelsea, too! :)

Hannah said...

I missed the "write from feelings," suggestion...my poem is entirely inspired by the visual part of the artwork. Just so you know... :)

Kerry O'Connor said...

Jennifer, Please feel free to email me at theimaginarygarden@gmail.com if you require further clarification on the parameters of the challenges we offer on Real Toads. Alternatively, the Weekly Schedule tab at the top of the page does include our guidelines.

Margaret said...

Thank you, everyone for participating in a challenge which I would shy away from if my daughter wasn't the artist. But I enjoyed twisting the way I look at an image and well, trying something new/difficult is a good thing. I will be back in the morning to comment if anyone posts tonight. Goodnight, Toads, and thanks for the fun!

Peggy said...

Yahoo I finally figured out how to copy and paste the photo of Chelsea's work to post with my poem. So no more guessing! Actually I am glad i had this opportunity to really learn how to do this as it has been a problem for me in the past a couple of times. And it was embarrassingly easy!

hedgewitch said...

Margaret, it took awhile, but I managed something. A great challenge and thanks to Chelsea for sharing her artwork with us. I will be by to visit everyone tomorrow--or rather, later today!

Marian said...

i just love these paintings so much, Margaret! that one in brown hues has been working on me since yesterday morning so i might have another post in me. :)
it's nutty here on vacation and i couldn't get around to reading everyone else's poems yet, but i will. xoxox

said...

My word, Chelsea is talented! It's such an honor to enjoy her work here.

Susie Clevenger said...

Thank you Margaret for sharing Chelsea's beautiful art as inspiration. I have finally caught up with the poetry challenge of 30 poems in 30 days!!